Monday, March 20, 2017

Story Planning Week 9: Blackfoot Butterfly Effect

I have read one or two stories that implement the cumulative tale style, and I found them to be very interesting. I thought about trying them out a few weeks ago, but I couldn't come up with very good ideas to write about. For next week's story post, I would like to use this style to tell a story about Blackfoot Indian culture. From my reading during week 9, I have found some information about the Blackfoot and also learned about the fables they told. The different steps I use in my cumulative tale may not be one hundred percent accurate, but they will be based off of the stories I read throughout week 9.
"The story about the rolling stone is quite a stretch. The whole time I was focused on the conflict between the man and the rock (which was already pretty crazy), but the purpose of the story didn't even turn out to be about them. It was about the way hawks look today and why they do." (Week 9 Reading Note Part A Post)
Wikimedia Commons
A few of the stories, such as the rolling stone one, involved an old man and events he went through, which lead to something occurring that changed history. The example I wrote about is with the stone that chased the old man, which was stopped by the hawks, leading to hawk beaks changing forever. I think it would be awesome to gather a few of these things from each story, to add together for an overall cumulative tale. In the end, my goal would be to have the specific things add together to cause some grand event at the end. It could also be comical to have a huge list, which end up causing a very small thing to happen (such as a drop of water to fall or someone to sneeze).

My list for the cumulative tale (will be similar to the butterfly effect) is going to include the old man (popular in the Blackfoot readings), a boulder, a drop of water, spices, a fire pit, the old man's wife, the sun, Kut O Yis (a hero from the reading part B) shooting an arrow, some for of animal (probably an actual butterfly to symbolize what is going on), and I may add or subtract any as I figure out what I need. This style is very new to me, but it seems like it will be fun so hopefully all goes well!

Bibliography: Blackfoot Stories by Grinnell

2 comments:

  1. I bet this story is going to be really cool and interesting! I like that you are going to take a traditional story and create something new with it but also try to keep its integrity. This looks like it is going to be a story that is not really like any others I have seen this semester so I hope you get around to writing it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that I will need to check back next week to read this story! Your post has me incredibly interested to see how your story ends up turning out. I love it when people ind a way to make a story better by taking an original an adding a unique twist to the story! Good luck or your story!

    ReplyDelete