Sunday, April 2, 2017

Reading Notes Week 11: King Arthur, Part B

It's interesting that some of the stories have chosen not to include King Arthur at all. I find that pretty good so I can focus on other characters which I could choose to use in my storytelling. It's nice to get a better feel of who the different Knights of the Round Table are since they are a big part of King Arthur's stories.

I'm confused as to why Sir Galahad was so afraid of having Sir Lancelot recognize him? Sir Lancelot is his father, so I must have missed the issue there.

The transition between the stories, "Sir Galahad and the White Knight" and "Sir Lancelot's Vision" is really unique. I like how the majority of the story is focused on Sir Galahad as promised by the title, but at the very end Sir Lancelot comes into the picture, and the story is handed off to him. It would interesting to try to write a story of similar style, but it may be difficult with only 1000 words. I could probably do it, but I don't want the writing to seem too brief between the stories.

The transition into the next character focused story is similar to the last with a new knight taking over the scene. I like getting the viewpoint from so many different characters, but maybe the title of "King Arthur" should be changed slightly to signify that so many story don't involve him.

Okay, so it wasn't until later on that Sir Lancelot found out that Sir Galahad was his son! I wonder if Sir Galahad new Sir Lancelot was his father earlier on when he avoided him at the end of the first story in part B (Finally both know and meet towards the end).

There quite a few familial connections involved in these King Arthur tales. Some of them are hard to keep track of. Sir Gawain as Arthur's nephew, Sir Ector (Arthur's foster brother) younger half-brother of Sir Lancelot.

The last story wrapping up the end of King Arthur's rule includes all of the Knights previously mentioned. I think that a unique way to end it with all of them mourning together.
Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography:
 King Arthur, by Andrew Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment