Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

Receiving Feedback
Five Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ
The first tip about feeling uncomfortable reminded me of the growth mindset. We talked about uncomfortable situations as good for growth as a person, so if feedback makes you somewhat uncomfortable, it can be beneficial. The third tip is important to me about how you reflect feedback on yourself. The article discusses that bad feedback does not actually mean you are a bad person. These are just areas to improve to become an even better person. Sometimes I may fall into the category of assuming I have qualities of a bad person when I receive negative feedback.

Why Rejection Hurts so Much - and What to Do About It
I was able to relate this article a little bit to the third tip in the article above about hurting yourself with feedback. We tend to receive negative feedback, which turns into a sort of snowball effect of criticizing yourself. I do this sometimes when getting feedback. Once I see one thing is wrong, it makes me think of all the other things I could also be doing poorly. I need to be able to look at ways to improve the feedback, rather than other ways I am wrong.
(FEEDBACK  --  Karl Horton)
Source: Flickr

Giving Feedback
7 Key Characteristics of Better Learning Feedback
A great tip in this article is the 4th characteristic of good feedback. It should be "user friendly" or easy to understand. I know when taking feedback, I don't want to confuse the criticism with something that isn't meant to be said. Giving simple, actionable feedback makes it easier on the recipient to improve their qualities.

Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback
By and far this was my favorite article. It really put the entirety of both receiving and giving feedback into perspective for me. It is important to know that the criticism you get back is from past events. These events can't be changed. You can't focus solely on the past, but rather learn from it and then look to the future to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment