Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Reality of the Growth Mindset

Before reading the video transcripts of Carol Dweck, I hadn't ever heard of the term "Growth Mindset" or even of Carol herself. After reading about this topic, it made me realize how today's generation is being prepared for instant results and gratification. People search for instant validation to their work to make sure they are doing the right things.

(BRAINS!  --  Steve)
Source: Flickr
One of the best examples I can think of would be with working out/dieting. Many individuals trying to get into better shape are always on the lookout for shortcuts to working out and to the overall results they want to achieve. The hard truth is that it doesn't come easily or quickly. The people who are able to take this Growth Mindset perspective will be better prepared for the long run results because they realize their potential to improve. As Dweck said in her "Make Challenge the New Comfort Zone" video, "I want "challenge" to be the new comfort zone, not "easy" being the comfort zone." Working out can be very challenging, so the people who can only handle easy (comfortable) situations may not achieve the results they set out to reach.

One of my biggest faults when it comes to this topic would be aiming to get certain grades in my classes. I focus solely on what I need to do to get the grades most of the time, rather than truly trying to learn the material and letting the grades come after that. Hopefully, learning more about Growth Mindset will help me realize my potential for the future as opposed to what I can get tomorrow. Overall, that mindset could help me utilize my time better and could even aid me in correcting my problems with time management discussed in my last post.

No comments:

Post a Comment