Friday, January 27, 2017

Reading Notes: Homer's Odyssey, Part A

  • The indication of the importance of the wine seems somewhat vague. Hopefully there will be more of a backstory to that. The setting is depicted well at the beginning of the story. I don't know how much space I will have to do the same in mine, but I hope mine is similar (but a little shorter). I would like to tell the story from the point of view of one of Odysseus' crew. 
  • Wine is noted again. I thought the cyclops might be somewhat friendly, but it seems as though he trapped them to eat overtime. I may try portraying the giant in a friendly manner, just to switch up the story line. All of the stories I've heard concerning the cyclops make him the enemy. Teaming up with the cyclops could be a nice twist to my story.
(CYCLOPS  --  Daniel Ferencak)
Source: Flickr
  • The detail involved within the storytelling is great. It really helps me image what is going on in the gave. Although my story will be much shorter, I would like to use detail like Kline did.
  • Deceiving the cyclops with his false name, "Nobody" was clever. I didn't see that coming when he first said that. Odysseus was almost too cocky when he left the cyclops' island. By mocking Polyphemus with his chants, the cyclops was close to wiping out their ship. I do like him portrayed in that manner though.
  • The description of the food and drink in the story is great. I can see how Odysseus' crew were tempted by Crice's food (drugged). It made me hungry just by reading! Odysseus believes he should go save his crew even beyond Eurylochus' warning. Up to this point Odysseus is proving to think quite highly of his ability (a step above everyone else). It fits him well throughout the story though. I would like to keep this trait when writing my story.
  • There are many prophecies throughout the stories. It is interesting to see how they pan out when you know something will happen (just not how it will happen). 

Bibliography:  Homer's Odyssey, Tony Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment