Saturday, January 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Homer's Odyssey, Part B

  • Odysseus' sacrificial ritual was quite in depth. I like the dialogue between Odysseus and the ghosts. The tone within the dialogue adds to the moods and manner by which they are speaking. It definitely makes me feel sorry for Elpenor because he was young. Hopefully Odysseus remembers to do all of what he asked. The fore warnings of what is to come are present again. Writing in that style sort of lays groundwork for the rest of the story. You know what the characters should and shouldn't do, so while reading, you fill in the plot with information about how they get to those decisions and ultimately what decision they make (I'm surprised Odysseus doesn't have to write some of the tasks down. He is given a lot to remember).
  • All of the dialogue gives great insight and backbone to the story. Although my story will be shorter, I would like to have meaningful dialogue between the characters. It really adds to the story in totality. 
  • In this story, there may be a few too many introductions of the famous women's ghosts. They may be needed but as of now they are getting harder and harder to remember. I would leave out so many introductions into my story because I definitely wouldn't have enough room for that.
  • (Scilla e Cariddi  --  Dave & Margie Hill)
    Wikimedia Commons
  • The second reading will mostly help me with my story in the dialogue areas. I need to make sure that with whatever dialogue I have, it truly adds to my overall story structure. I don't want to jot down empty filler words into the reading. I plan to use the Cyclops, Circe, Odysseus, the crew, and a made up crew member (a woman) in my story. I think dialogue between the Cyclops and Odysseus will be important to form a friendship. Also dialogue between Circe and my new crew member (the narrator) will also play a pivotal role in the story.

Bibliography:
  Homer's Odyssey, Tony Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment