Monday, January 30, 2017

Learning Challenge: Reading Out Loud

(Reading.  --  Nahh)
Source: Flickr
This week I chose to do the Learning by H.E.A.R.T. reading out loud challenge. I definitely never read out loud (I only recently started in my posts to help proofread), so it made me interested to see how it actually could affect my reading.

At first, it seemed really weird hearing myself talk constantly for the duration of my reading, but then I adapted. That was when I started to tell a difference in the reading experience. I'm not going to lie and say it was a 180 degree switch from my usual reading, but I did notice minute details that seemed to benefit my learning. When reading my own material aloud, I picked up on more errors that I wouldn't have known existed, if not for hearing it out loud. Also, it seemed as though I retained more information when reading other material aloud. That may be due to the fact that I normally only think about the words, but when reading out loud, I hear the words while I also think about what is happening. It isn't completely different, but I do enjoy doing it when I can. I won't be able to do it often (due to library/roommate etiquette), but I do think it benefits me when I seize the opportunities as they arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment