Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1 Story: The Three Wise of Different Size

"Three wise men of Gotham,
Went to sea in a bowl:
And if the bowl had been stronger,
My song would have been longer."

Once there were three men that decided to take an adventure away from Gotham Island. These three men were brothers who ranged in all different sizes. The youngest, Bruce, was of average height and weight. Wayne, the middle brother, was just a little heavier than Bruce. The eldest brother, Alfred, was much heavier than either Bruce or Wayne.

Each brother believed himself to be very wise, so they made a plan to leave Gotham in search of a town where they could put their talents to use.

The brothers devised a plan to travel by water to find a new home.
It took them hours of discussion to try to find the right place to move.
"I've heard of grand cities towards the south, so I think we should begin in that direction." said Bruce.
(Honolulu, Hawaii  --  Roxanne Ready)
Source: Flickr
"No!" exclaimed Wayne, "We need to make our way north. I know of a place, Dent Town, where the citizens are naive. Our superior intellect will surely have us dictating the town in a meager amount of time."
Alfred pondered the options they had presented but finally declared,
"I am the oldest and wisest here, so I will have the final say on the matter. We are going to sail east to the uncharted islands of Razagul."
Finally, the three brothers had agreed and chose to set out in the morning.
As dawn broke the next day, the brothers headed to the docks of Gotham and purchased a small boat.
Bruce, the smallest boarded the boat with ease. Next, Wayne hopped in, which further stressed the bearings as the boat pressed further into the water. The largest brother climbed in the vessel, causing it to let out sounds of creaking and uneasiness in the wood. Despite the sure signs of weakness in the boat's make up, the brothers set out on their adventure.

(The Three ages of man…  --  rawdonfox)
Source: Flickr
Two days into the journey, the boat reached its breaking point.

The brothers had spent too much time arguing about the destination and not enough time on the effectiveness of their traveling methods.

The boat quickly filled with water as the brothers began to teeter-totter and were never heard from again. -END

"Three wise men of Gotham,
Went to sea in a bowl:
And if the bowl had been stronger,
My song would have been longer."

Author's Note: The inspiration for my story came from Batman (because of "Gotham") and a children's story, Goldilocks. I described each character in a similar fashion as Goldilocks tried the different things in that story, by increasing the size of each character. I also named the various characters and places to allude to things in Batman. I chose to elaborate the sinking of their bowl by making it somewhat ironic. The three men were so "wise", but they let such a simple obstacle cause their downfall. For my title, I decided to make it rhyme because the overall story was about a nursery rhyme.

Bibliography: Based on the nursery rhyme about "Three wise men of Gotham" in The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang.

 

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I LOVED the Batman references. Great choice to give it a more modern spin. Also, I think you did an excellent job expanding on the original nursery rhyme. I saw it at the beginning of your post and went to the source to see if it really was that short. I think you definitely captured the spirit of the original tale; in both situations, the wise men overlooked something (literally) right under their noses. And finally I wanted to compliment your boat picture for complementing your story so well. I hope to see more modern twists like this one in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super cute! The Batman references were hilarious as well. I was hoping that maybe the twist would be that they got to live, but alas, no. I liked the message you taught though, and it was very entertaining to read. On that same point, your second picture was hilarious. It is awesome that you were able to find a picture that so closely matched your story because I almost never can.

    ReplyDelete