Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Feedback Focus

Reading Out Loud

Wikimedia Commons
  • I did the HEART reading out loud challenge, so I was accustomed to trying this technique before I read The Wax Crocodile story. I had a similar experience with my reading in that I felt as though I was more involved in the story. I was able to hear myself and really comprehend the words within the story, while also imagining the setting in my mind. Doing both of these helps me better understand the plot and pick up on details.
Copy-and-Delete
  • There seems to be a correlation between reading time and comprehension for me with the two techniques I've tried so far. Although it did take longer to complete the reading with the copy and delete method, making my self accountable for taking notes in spurts, without looking at the reading directly, improved my reading experience more. I beleive this technique would be very useful if you were to do an in class assignment, in which the professor would ask you questions about the reading right afterwards. Then, as Dr. Gibbs noted, you'd have details/comments on your mind after reading.
Use a Timer
  • When first trying this technique, I was definitely guilty of "watching the clock". Not in the sense that I had it in front of me while I read, but it was in the back of my mind. So at first, it was a bit of a distraction. I finally got over the fact that I was being timed, and accepted that I needed to focus for 10-15 minutes. During the first 4 or so minutes I read the story "What the Heart Desires". After that I decided to go back through the story and skim for any details I missed. Once I felt as though I had completely covered the story, I went back through the author's note, and tried to relay all of the information in the story back to the reasoning for it being written. After reading the story and analyzing the author's note with it, I felt like I had a greater understanding for Kathryn's point of view when creating the story. I think it was really interesting to pick a minor character and expand on their origin story to see how they got to where they were.
OVERALL: Given that I was able to read aloud, I would have to rank that technique as the most useful to me. I liked the copy and delete method as well, but when I start getting into a story, I want to keep reading and let the story flow. When I stopped and jotted down summaries, it forced me to refocus myself back into the reading. I believe the timer technique would be useful for me when I feel as though I am not able to pay attention very well. Then I can force myself to sit down for a certain time period to really hone in on the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment