Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Week 5 Storyplanning: Role Reversal

"I think it would be fun to write a back story to the thief's adventures of stealing from the citizens. I don't know if I'd be able to make him the protagonist of the story. Maybe I could write from the antagonist's point of view." Reading Notes Week 5, Part B
As I read the story I chose for this week, I was trying to brainstorm different topics and ways I could add to the reading at hand. I am trying to really step out of the box with my style on this story so I think I may try to write from the antagonist's point of view. I am used to writing with the protagonist in mind, always with them coming out on top, but instead I want to experiment with giving the bad guy the spot light in the story. To take their point of view, I want to use the thief in the riddle "The Girl and the Thief" as my main character. During the riddle, his riches that he'd stolen were described very briefly, with little to no background as to how he came upon the goods he stole. My goal for my story would be to write a background story with the thief's life leading up to the point where the riddle begins. Some ideas I have to do so are to describe his adventures with stealing from the citizens, why he chooses to be a thief (was he forced into it or does he just enjoy doing it), and I also want to include the king (his nemesis in the riddle) into the background.
Wikimedia Commons
"As the King answering riddles had great qualities of courage and perseverance, I could mirror those in either the thief or king in my story." - Reading Notes Week 5, Part B
I haven't decided on the name of my characters yet. Because I saw some relation between the riddle and the story about Romeo and Juliet, I may name my thief with a variation of the name Romeo. He would have to be slender with long black hair (for some reason, that is what comes to my mind when I think of a thief). I would like to contrast the thief's features with that of the king. Basically taking those features and opposing them. I.e. more broad and brute, blonde hair/ bald. The thief would need darker shaded clothes and a mask/ hood. The king, shiny armor with his face fully revealed.

The motivation for Romero (the thief) is going to be the thrill of the stealing experience. He doesn't steal because he has to or because he wants to be rich, but instead he loves the adrenaline rush that comes from the action. His intent may not be bad, but his action overall is definitely malicious. Torn between wanting to be good and liking to do bad things because of the rush. The king doesn't know his intention and doesn't care. He goes strictly by the law with no gray area between. I will use dialogue only really for their first meeting and one other encounter, but mostly keep the dialogue in the mind of Romero.

Bibliography: Twenty-Two Goblins by Arthur Ryder

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting idea! I really like thief antiheroes, which sounds at the very least similar to what you are going for. I really like character background stories as well, and thieves are one of my favorite character types to play around with. I think you could make a really interesting story out of this. I hope it works out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan this sounds like it could really develop into a great story. I like how you are going to write in the antagonist point of view. I too am always trying to write the story where the good guy wins and there isn’t much anticipation for what will happen. I feel this will really bring a certain aspect to this story instead of being the usual type of story. I do like how you will try and write most of the story in the mind of the thief. Great idea and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete