Friday, February 3, 2017

Reading Notes (Extra): English Fairy Tales, Part A

Tom Tit Tot

  • The dialogue is semi hard to follow because the english is a different style that I'm used to. I would probably avoid a similar style in my stories. I like how it was a spin off of the "Rumplestilskin" story, so maybe I can use a childhood story as inspiration for one of mine.
The Rose Tree
  • I was surprised at the darkness of this reading. It was definitely the darkest story that I've read so far in this class. Although justice was "served" in the end, I will most likely avoid doing something so dark. I don't think my writing style would fit that well.
The Old Woman and Her Pig
  • Unique story line based on a sequence of events there and back again. I was wondering where the story would end up after following through half of it, but to have everything finally work the way it did was satisfying. I would like to incorporate a style similar to this with the plot created from another story. I may try it with my week 4 story.
Binnorie
  • This story is similar with the eeriness and overall darkness to "The Rose Tree". I definitely prefer a lighter, more upbeat mood with my storytelling, but this gives me insight as to the other side of my wiring preference.
Cap o' Rushes
  • This story seemed to have to plots involved. The situation with her dad started and ended the story, and the middle included the Cinderella like love story. I wonder what happened to the other daughters. Splitting the plot like this made me lose the point of the story for a little while, but brought it back at the end. Choosing from the three daughters was an interesting start. I could use this in my story for Odysseus for the warriors he chooses. Ultimately choosing the female protagonist who saves the day.
(Three Little Pigs of Apple Hill  --  Joe Parks)
Source: Flickr
The Story of the Three Little Pigs
  • An add on to the classic story about the three little pigs. Writing an addition to a classic story (either before the timing of the story or after) would be pretty fun if I could do it correctly.

Bibliography: English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

No comments:

Post a Comment