Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

I would say that one of the things on the list that I have experienced a lot of trouble with would be staying in my comfort zone versus being willing to try new things. I would definitely consider myself to be an introvert, so I tend to feel comfortable in less socially grand situations. Over time in college I've grown little by little whether it be with giving speeches, interviews, meetings, selling "my brand" to people, and meeting many new people on campus. I also feel like I am a very habit oriented person (a lot of people get this way), so I like to do certain things throughout the day when I study, eat, or workout and it's hard for me to get out of those routines. Not that having routines is a bad thing, but I should be open to trying new things even if those things interfere with my usual daily actions.

As I talked about in my first growth mindset post, I also had a tendency to focus on getting the grade in a class rather than learning the actual material and being able to apply it in an out of school scenario. With classes don't pertain to my major, I think it's easy for me to think, Oh, well let me just get an A and who cares if I remember the information. I won't need to use that later on. This class has really showed me how wrong that was. It could be easy for me to go through this class just trying to complete the assignments and then let everything go at the end of the semester. Thankfully, I have been introduced to so many different growth concepts and ideas in this class, I feel like I'm starting realize how I can grow and enjoy the information I'm being given as opposed to information that I look at in a negative manner. I don't want to go through school wishing it was over because then you are just spending your days trying to run out the clock. That isn't a life to live in my opinion. I am excited to see what else I can learn in this class because so far, I really have been exposed to stuff that will help me improve myself all around and in the long run.
Wikimedia Commons

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that the growth mindset has been able to change the way you think about your classes. After all, no matter what we assume while we are in school the truth of the matter remains that we are being taught exactly what we need to know to better our futures and make a mark in our profession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel! It's also really difficult for me to get out of my comfort zone and I also really like routine, too. It's hard breaking that cycle, so I think it's great that you're able to consider going out of your comfort zone. I think that itself is a good step.

    And yes, sometimes I also just want a good grade! It's definitely not a good mindset but we have so much on our plate that you just need to focus on the classes oriented to your major. I definitely understand how you feel, but I'm glad this class has helped you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. College is definitely the place that many people are able to break free of their comfort zone, as i know it was for me.
    I agree with you that sometimes it's easy to get caught up on "the grade," and not actually the material that we're needing to know. That's a very important point that you brought up, and I know many people (including myself) who tend to think that way. I love the last few sentences that you wrote, and I'm happy that being able to have a growth mindset has been so helpful for you!

    ReplyDelete