Sunday, February 5, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part B

Sindbad is truly never content with what he is given. After 4 voyages with countless shares of wealth and gifts, he still yearns to go back to Bagdad (which he will no doubt leave in search of a new place with more spoils). I think a great, just ending to the story would be with his greed finally catching up to him. I wouldn't like to end a story on a negative note, but I think it doing so with Sinbad, it would give the entire story a good moral. Sinbad's patience is definitely his savior in a lot of situations. It hasn't said much about his appearance, but from pictures and images put into the reading, I've put together a rough sketch in my mind. Brownish black hair, a think peaked beard, and a tan skin tone. Roughly 5'10'', average weight, and for some reason I feel as though he is sarcastic (not an appearance trait though). With the ways he gets out of situations, I think it would be funny to have him be a jolly, plump guy. A lot of luck has been involved with him getting out of situations, so I think that look would suit him well.  This story contains less dialogue than most of the ones I've read up to now. I'm not sure which I like more. I think it's a good thing not to get carried away with pointless dialogue. I need to make sure the dialogue in my story always adds to the overall point/plot.

Can we believe this is actually his 7th and "final" voyage? I'm a little skeptical…

Sindbad ended on a positive note. I wasn't sure if his luck would run out eventually. It was a good resolution to the story, which added to his character (him devoting his life to his family there at the end). His family must have been quite patient with him going on so many voyages. I don't think it mentioned exactly when he met his wife. He may have settled down with her after his last voyage.

Bibliography: The Voyages of Sindbad, by Andrew Lang

1 comment:

  1. Hi Logan!
    That was a very impressive read and I really enjoyed the whole thing! You have an amazing way to keep the audience captivated and the reader engaged – something that is NEVER easy to do. So I commend you on that!! I looked over your stuff from earlier this semester and you, like many of our classmates, have come a long way.

    I was wondering if you base your characters off people that you know in real life? They seem so real to me – almost like you are describing a person. I really like that about your writing style.

    What if you continued on with the voyages of Sindbad? I really enjoyed this story and I think it has potential to continue if its something you feel passionate about!

    All in all, you should be very proud of your work and I am excited to read more later on.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete