Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reading Notes: Chinese Fairy Tales, Part B

After finishing "Night on the Battlefield" I feel as though there was definitely something missing. It didn't seem to have a plot. Some random things just happened and then a story was told about them?

The story, "The Maiden who was Stolen Away" was different than I thought it would be. The brother ended up being the hero who rescued the damsel in distress. I was thinking the Ogre would end up with the Maiden (possibly ending his condition similar to beauty and the beast). Definitely wrong. I wonder what happened to the Ogre after the brother knocked him off course when he was headed towards the maiden? Maybe rewriting this story with a different ending could be good. Or I could continue the story from the Ogre's perspective and continue it into the next story, "The Flying Ogre". Although it is a woman in this story, I could mesh the two stories into one. Some of the stories end rather quickly, which hurts their point of being written in my view.

Wikimedia Commons
"Three Evils" was a pretty good tale. The honor of Dschou Tschu reminds me a lot of what I've heard about Japanese and Chinese culture. Especially with samurai. The fact that he died honorably was courageous of him because he knew his own evil. I wonder if it'd been the same if he didn't know about the three evils? Would he have become bad? I could revise the version to make Dschou Tschu an antagonist in the story. Faced with the truth about himself, he decided to indulge in his dark side and wreaks havoc on the town. The description of his battles against the dragon and tiger were pretty cool through the story as well. Wilhelm was able to describe them very briefly, but it still gave me a good image of what happened. Hopefully I will learn how to do that better because I had some trouble with that in my first story.


Bibliography: Chinese Fairy Tales, Wilhelm

No comments:

Post a Comment